The Yacht Rona

The Yacht Rona
Rona

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Day 9 – Leaving things behind…


I must sound like such a pessimistic person when it comes to my posts, I truly promise that I am not though. I just think a lot of the not so fun parts of such a huge impending move are surfacing for me.
One of the hardest things we are going to have to do when moving is leave things behind. Of course everything sentimental will be coming with us but the rest will all be given away or sold. No sense putting things in storage because if all goes perfectly to plan we will never live in Canada again. We are going to fly over first class when we take our all important one-way flight, this way our checked luggage allowance will be fairly more significant than economy class. We will probably take tons of clothes as our checked baggage and things that are way too sentimental to risk putting in the trust of a company to ship over. Everything else we will have shipped over and to think of what this will cost is somewhat worrisome but manageable.
Nothing electronic (except our laptops) would make any sense to bring over as voltage is completely different overseas so we will have to buy things new anyways. Our bed, couches, kitchen table and other things of that nature won’t make the trip either. They are all just material things but they all are part of our home, our first place since getting married and so I do have some sort of attachment to them. All replaceable though when we are in Shetland and I don’t know who I would be kidding to say I won’t be over the moon happy to furniture shop for our new house!! (Just ask Will, he told me many years ago that the man I marry would be broke because I shop way too much!)
There are other non-shippable, non-material things though that I obviously can’t take with us that make me sad too. Like my best friend, wish I could put her in my suitcase along with her beautiful little girl, but I think somehow I would get in big trouble for something like that. It is going to be a big change to not live so close to her. Sure we don’t see each other too often but we talk almost every day at least once. With time difference (5 hours ahead of Toronto) when I get up the morning for work she will be fast asleep, and when she gets home from work at the end of the day I will be fast asleep. We won’t be able to talk as often but we will figure things out for sure! (Still wish I could find a way to smuggle her over without jeopardizing my Visa)
The last thing that we are 10000% bringing with us are our kitties. Our 3 little monkeys will be making the trip over. Not sure how they will handle it, they have a meltdown just going in their carrier to the vet. Nothing a couple vet prescribed sedatives won’t fix though I am sure, they will fall asleep in Toronto and wake up in Scotland. We have lots to do with them before moving though, rabies shots (NO they do not have rabies), flea shots (NO they do not have fleas), and microchipping each of them. I will get into this in another post in more detail, it is a fairly complex and very technical, expensive process we need to do before they can even enter the UK.
I am going to sign off for tonight though.

No comments:

Post a Comment