The Yacht Rona

The Yacht Rona
Rona

Friday 12 August 2011

Day 12–Fiddle with this…

For those of you out there who don’t know this, there is something else Shetland has brought to the world other than ponies. Shetland has produced some of the best fiddlers in the world. The Shetland Fiddlers Association has some of the best fiddlers there are. Michelle and I are fortunate enough to be friends with the head of the association and were blessed to have them play at our wedding nearly a year ago in the Lerwick Boating club. My father is also an honorary member and plays, from what I understand, as frequently as he can with them. I have heard my father play the fiddle several times and each time he impresses me so very much. He is talented in so many ways and this is just another accomplishment to add to his long list; and he is still playing and still getting better. When Michelle and I visited Shetland last year, we asked the owner of the main (of perhaps only) music store in the town, why so many great players have come from or live in Shetland. He told us that he really doesn’t know but he supposes that it might do with their winters where there is only a few hours of sunlight each day. He told us that there is really nothing else to do in the cold but play the fiddle. I bit my tongue to stop me from vocalizing my firm objections to his grand lack of imagination but nodded and smiled (trying so hard not to giggle). Regardless of the reasons, I was determined to get myself a fiddle and start learning so that when we return this September, I could surprise him and we could have a little jamming session. Well a few months ago, I bought my fiddle and have practiced on and off for the past several months and you would be amazed at how good I have gotten! I SUCK! I have a fairly thick background of music which makes it even worse. I know how it should sound and know that what is coming out from my instrument is not what I want. But I still practice and I will still bring my fiddle with me to Scotland and surprise my dad, I think no matter what I sound like, he will love it.
There quite literally is nothing about Shetland I don’t like. I am sure that I will discover aspects of it I won’t be head over heals about (I heard it, on rare occasions, rains a little), but I love everything from the people to the land to the weather to the music.
If we could move tomorrow, we would!
R0028690

In case you were wondering, my father is in the middle. The woman to HIS right is Shirly, the above mentioned head of the Shetland Fiddlers Accociation.
- Will

No comments:

Post a Comment