The Yacht Rona

The Yacht Rona
Rona

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 30–My future sailing boat?

One of my greatest personal dreams when I move over to Scotland is to own a sailboat. Ya, every guy’s dream, right? Doesn’t have to be big, it just has to be mine. My father owns one called Rona and he treats it like it is his castle, well because it kinda is. He lives in it with his wife Becky. They both own houses outside of Edinburgh but they are having a fantastic time living on their yacht. And their adventures are simply  spectacular, the latest of which was to the Azores and back from Shetland (look it up!). I simply cannot believe that they went for so long, sailing in the Ocean on four hour shifts for literally weeks down. The physical and emotional strain must have been tremendous. My boat (possibly named GingyBoat, a joke with my newer friends) will not do such trips for many, many years, if at all. Sailing can be a lot of fun but it is not without its need for focus, attention to safety and vast knowledge of sailing. This neither comes lightly or quickly and will require years of sailing experience for me to be able to even think of doing a trip like the one my father and Becky did. And lets not forget the money I will need to not only buy the boat, I need to be able to maintain and pay for docking her. This certainly is not a cheep dream by any means!

*Sign*

R0028215

R0028212

3474 Rona in Victoria pier

- Will

1 comment:

  1. “One of my greatest personal dreams when I move over to Scotland is to own a sailboat.” – Your dream may not be as farfetched as your think. I think you can ask your dad how to acquire one since he probably knows a lot about this. Once you own one, I’m sure you too will have spectacular adventures on your own. And maybe spend more time on the waters of Scotland. :-) [Delena Millener]

    ReplyDelete