The Yacht Rona

The Yacht Rona
Rona

Sunday 14 August 2011

Day 14–What to leave and what to take

I wasn’t too sure what to write about today and was starting to panic (just a little mind you) as the absurdity of not knowing what to write about in a blog where I just boasted days earlier about how easy it is to generate ideas when writing a blog, is so bad its simply mind-blogging… er mind boggling.

I’ll let you digest that while I regroup and then we’ll both pretend that never happened!

Anyway… Michelle and I were cleaning today. Not just walking around with Molly Maid outfits, holding feather dusters. Oh no, we were outright cleaning. There are literally boxes and boxes of crap that I haven’t used in years and it is all just sitting there awaiting the day to be picked up, played with, and generally just loved. So I threw it all out! Great feeling. Cleansing feeling and a necessary step toward our eventual move in two years. If we throw things out a bit at a time, it won’t feel like such a drastic move. I think that is one of the part I dread the most; leaving so many things behind that were so much a part of my life all these many years. What I have to realize is that they really are just things. It is so hard because I have so much stuff. I have to really think hard over the next two years what is really valuable and what we can really detach ourselves from. Its not easy at all but if it is broken down into chunks over months and months, the pain is manageable. Today we must have thrown out 12 garbage bags worth of stuff.

I know that this may seem so very premature to start to throw out stuff two full years before we even move, but these are things we really haven’t used or seen in years. Whether we move or not, this stuff had to go. We feel better for it anyway. And the best part is Michelle now has more closet space! YAY!! Oh God, be still my empty wallet!

- Will

No comments:

Post a Comment