The Yacht Rona

The Yacht Rona
Rona

Sunday 4 September 2011

Day 35–“isms”

With our upcoming trip back to Scotland in just over a week I thought I could use a refresher on “Brit-isms” so as not to embarass myself with any words that have different meaning over there.

Some of these I got a good laugh out of last year as I would use the “Canadian” word I am used to and it would result in a very confused look on the face of the Scottish person I was speaking to.

Let me see what I can remember…

1. “Pants” – contrary to what Canadians deem pants, if you travel to Scotland without learning their meaning to this word you WILL end up in a very embarassing conversation. Pants in Scotland means underwear.

2. “Trousers” – what Canadians call pants.

3. “Chips” – these are french fries in Scotland. Hence fish and chips!

4. “Crisps” – as a follow-up to chips, crisps are what Canadians know as potato chips. (Side story: We saw some Americans make total asses out of themselves by asking for chips at a little shop. What they really wanted was crisps and the one tourist made a comment “THEY call them crisps here not chips” in such a cold and bizarre tone that you would have thought the locals were test subjects in an experiment being discussed)

5. “Sweets” – this is candy. I went into the corner store and asked for candy and the shopkeeper had no clue what I was asking for.

6. “Toilet” – this is the word used for what we Canadians call the washroom. (Side story: I learned quickly on our trip last year to ask where the toilet was instead of asking for the washroom. Once on the ferry to Shetland I asked where the toilet was and the bartender looked at me a little funny and said “Oh, you mean the washroom?”. All I could do was say yes, shake my head and follow his directions to the toilet”)

I am sure I will face some more embarassing situations this coming year as I probably have forgotten some words. As long as I remember the difference between pants and trousers I should be just fine though!

- Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment